Police FAQs

Pierce Township understands that you may have questions about our policies, procedures, and services, and we’re here to provide you with the information you need.

Our goal is to promote transparency and improve communication with the community we serve. We’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to address some of the most common inquiries we receive from citizens.

Whether you’re looking for information on how to report a crime, how to obtain a copy of a police report, or what to do if you’re stopped by a police officer, our FAQ page is here to help.

Please take a moment to browse through the questions and answers we’ve provided. If you don’t find the information you’re looking for, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re always available to assist you in any way we can.

Thank you for your interest in our police department, and we hope that our FAQ page helps you better understand our services and how we work to keep our community safe

How can I report a crime?

If you witness a crime or are the victim of a crime, it’s important to report it as soon as possible to the police department. To report a crime, you can call our non-emergency (dispatch) line at 513-732-2231 or come to our police station in person.

For emergencies or situations that require immediate police attention, such as a crime in progress or a life-threatening situation, please dial 911.

When reporting a crime, be prepared to provide as much information as possible, including the location, date and time of the incident, a description of any suspects, and any other relevant details.

How to get property back from the police department?

Claimants wishing to return property should fill out the property return request form.

Property Return Request Form

A mutually agreed date/time will be determined for the release of the property. Claimants must present valid photo ID, and any documentation providing proof of ownership or claim to the property.

Types of Property

Seized Property: Property that was seized and/or taken as evidence from a crime will be retained as long as needed as evidence for court proceedings, often until after the claimant has been convicted. It’s important to note that certain types of seized property may be subject to forfeiture, such as property used in the commission of a crime or property obtained through criminal activity. In such cases, retrieving your property may be more difficult, as seized items typically require a court order to be returned.

Lost or Found Property: An item turned in as lost or mislaid may be recovered within ninety days by its rightful owners. After that period of time, the police department may dispose of it in accordance with section 505.108 of the ORC.

Stolen Property: If you believe that the police department may possess property that was stolen from you, a petition needs to be filed with the court establishing your claim to ownership. These item(s) will need to be retained in accordance with court proceedings, and may not be immediately returned.

If you have any questions whatsoever about retrieving your property, don’t hesitate to contact Adam Curtis (513-752-4100).

How do I obtain a police report?

There are two ways to request a police report:

  1. In-person: You can visit our police station during business hours and request a copy of the report in person.
  2. Online: You can also request a police report online through our department’s website. Simply fill out the online request form and submit it electronically.

It’s important to note that not all police reports are available for public release. In some cases, the report may contain sensitive or confidential information that cannot be disclosed. We take the privacy and security of all individuals involved in a police report seriously, and our policies reflect that commitment as well as follow Ohio Record laws.

If you have any questions about obtaining a police report, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

How do I obtain a crash report?

Pierce Township Police Department records two different types of accident reports – public right away and private property. Accidents that occur on public roads (ie SR 125, Cole Rd, Legendary Run Rd) can be located through the State of Ohio Database.

Accidents that occur on private property (i.e. store parking lot, residential driveway) can be requested through Pierce Township Records Request Process.

Accident reports are not available immediately, please wait 3-5 days for report processing.

Public Road Accident Link

Private Property Accident Link


How can I see if the police department found my lost property?

The police department post found property on the website. Currently found property can be seen by clicking here. If you would like to claim the property, you can contact the Pierce Township Police Department at 513-947-2027 or fill-out a property release form at – https://piercetownship.org/police-department/property-return/

What should I do if I’m involved in a crash?

If you’re involved in a car crash, your safety and the safety of others involved should be your first priority. Here are some important steps to take immediately after a crash:

  1. Check for injuries: Check yourself and others involved in the crash for any injuries. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately for medical assistance.
  2. Move to a safe location: If possible, move your vehicle to a safe location off the road to prevent further accidents.
  3. Call the police: Even if the crash is minor, it’s important to report it to the police. Call the non-emergency line for the police department and provide them with your location and any details about the crash.
  4. Exchange information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other drivers involved in the crash. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, and insurance policy information.
  5. Document the scene: Take photos of the damage to all vehicles involved, the location of the crash, and any other details that may be relevant to the investigation.
  6. Contact your insurance company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the crash and provide them with any information they may need.

Remember to remain calm and cooperative with all parties involved, including police officers and other drivers. Your safety and well-being should always be your top priority after a crash.

What is a neighborhood watch?

A neighborhood watch is a crime prevention program that involves residents of a community working together to reduce crime in their area. Neighborhood watch programs typically involve residents keeping an eye out for suspicious activity in their neighborhood and reporting it to law enforcement if necessary.

Neighborhood watch programs often organize regular meetings and events to discuss crime prevention strategies and strengthen community relationships. Participants may also receive training on crime prevention and safety techniques, as well as tips for securing their homes and property.

Neighborhood watch programs have been successful in reducing crime in many communities by increasing awareness and communication among residents and law enforcement. These programs empower residents to take an active role in keeping their communities safe and can help foster a greater sense of community and camaraderie among neighbors.

How can I submit a compliment or complaint to the police department?

To submit a compliment or complaint to the Pierce Township Police Department, you can do so in writing, verbally, in person, or electronically (via email or phone). A written and signed form is preferred for a thorough investigation, although not required for formal complaints. Complaints can be filed using an online form available on their website or by picking up a paper form at the police station.

You’ll need to provide details such as the officer’s name, incident date, location, and the nature of the complaint or compliment.

For more information and to access the online forms, visit their website for submitting a complaint here and a compliment here.